BCU pay fees to participate in a blanket licensing scheme provided by the CLA (Copyright Licensing Agency). This is a scheme that allows us to make proportional copies (scanned or physical) from copyright protected works for the purposes of teaching, research and study.
What CLA covers
- BCU Libraries own a copy of the work (note personal copies owned by lecturer don't apply)
- The extract is of no more than 1 chapter, article or 10% of the whole
- BCU report on the copying and copies held
- The copy is shared via a secure link and only to the cohort of students on that module
- The works' copyright holder hasn't opted out of the scheme
There are limitations on how this is applied and all digital copying (i.e. scanned extracts to be included on Moodle) must be carried out by the Digital Library. More information and a request form for scanning can be found on the library website. It is also possible to request scanned copies from your Reading List.